Many topics in adoption can be incredibly challenging alone.
Adoption Mosaic offers in-depth, non-therapeutic, private consultation with Astrid Castro, on topics specific to you and/or your family.
- In-person (available to individuals near/around Portland, Oregon) *not currently available due to COVID-19*
- Good Ol fashioned Phone Call
- Facebook Video Chat
- Zoom Video Conference Call
Individual consultations with Astrid are not therapeutic services. However, these one-on-one sessions with Astrid offer:
- Empathetic, experience, and education based listening
- Time to talk about you/your family’s challenges and successes
- Individualized advice based on you/your family’s situation
- One-on-one time with a caring, knowledgeable, open-minded adoption professional
Adult Adoptees – A Day In The Life of
Being an adult adoptee often means that life has unique challenges, whether that means you are just coming to terms with your adoption and how it has impacted your life, you are deciding if and when you want to seek out your birth family, or maybe you have sought them out and it did (or didn’t) go as expected.
- Adult Adoptee Developmental Stages: Coming Out of The Fog
- Navigating a Healthy Relationship With Your Adoptive Family/Parents
- Racial Identity as an Adult
- Getting your Non-Adoptee Spouse to Understand Adoption
- Supporting Your Adopted Spouse/Partner
- Parenting As Adoptees
- Deciding to parent or not
- POC (People of Color) Adoptees ~ Raising Your Children to be racially conscience when your not sure you have figured it out for yourself
- Having your child(ren) understand your adoption (it’s their history too)
- Search & Reunion – Expectation vs. Reality
- To Search or Not to Search
- Coping With Not Finding Your Birth Family
- Secondary Rejections (Denied Reunion By Birth Family)
- A Blended Family: Reconstructing & Redefining Your Family After Reunion
- Navigating a Healthy Relationship With Birth/First Families
Pre-Adoptive Parents ~ Exploring Adoption:
This package is for individuals and couples who are at the beginning stages of adopting. Whether you are still deciding if adoption is right for your family or any of the other questions and/or factors families may need to address, this package is a great place to start!
- Is Adoption Right For Our Family?
- What Type of Adoption Is Right For me/us? (international vs. domestic, open vs. closed, infant vs. older, DHS vs. private, sibling groups, transracial, etc…)
- How To Choose An Agency: Ethical Practices
- When Things Don’t Go As Planned
- Family structure changes, navigating life as a blended family with birth children and adopted children
- In On It: Talking with Extended Family (and Community) About Adoption
Life As An Adoptive Family:
This package is designed for families who are currently parenting children who are adopted. When do you begin to have those conversations with your child(ren) about adoption? What does it mean to be “age appropriate”? What adoption language should I be aware of? How do I handle the hard questions my child has started asking?
- Talking with your child about adoption:
- Developmental stages (what to share and when)
- Sharing YOUR (adoptive parent’s) journey with your child
- Explaining and Reacting to Others About Adoption.
- Transracial Adoption:
- Talking with Children about Race & Racism
- Understanding Racial Identity for you AND your child
- Navigating Resources, Events and Support in your community
- Search & Reunion:
- Contemplation & Conversation To Search or Not to Search
- Expectation Vs. Reality
- Zoom Video Support For Families While Traveling To Child’s Birth Country
- Life After Reunion: Reshaping & Expanding The Definition Of Family
- Relationship with Birth/ First Families – navigating an open adoption
- Birth Country Visiting
- When to visit your child’s birth country and what should you do/visit (orphanage, foster family, “finding site”, hospital, birth/first family…)?
- Preparing to Returning to Birth Country for the 1st time: How to prepare yourself AND your child
- When Adoption Is NOT Going as Planned
(Educators & PTA’s) Race and Racism: Talking With Children
While we at Adoption Mosaic focus heavily on adoption, we also offer consultations on race and racism for parents and educators! This package is for educators & parents who are ready to talk to their students (and children) about race and racism, and may be unsure where to start, how to craft age appropriate dialogue suited to their child(ren) and their school’s specific needs.
This package is also appropriate for school administrators who are looking for guidance on how to start school wide conversations with their faculty about race and racism, and how to take a proactive approach.
- Understanding Race & Racism in the School Setting
- Building Age Appropriate & Ethical Curriculum For Students
- Building Race & Racism Awareness Curriculum For Faculty
- Building Race & Racism Awareness: For PTA’s
FAQs for Individual Consulting
- Consultations are 60 minutes long (with a minimum of 3 sessions, $100 per hour)
- There is a one-time administration fee of $30
- After completing the required forms to get started, we will find a time that works for everyone and schedule your first consultation.
Contact email@example.com for more information or to schedule a meeting time.
Consultations are sold in packages of three visits with Astrid Castro per selected topic. We require individuals to purchase a minimum of three consecutive consultations.
The breakdown of the three sessions are as followed: The FIRST meeting is all about you, your family, your adoption history specific to the topic/package you choose, SECOND meeting is about diving into the topic of the package, and the THIRD is evaluating where you are now, where you want to go from here, as well as resources for you.
The hourly fee break down is $100 per consultation hour (with a one-time required $30 intake fee for new clients).
Ready to get started?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, if you have additional questions or to book a consultation package!
Cancellation Policy: If your appointment is not cancelled at least 24 hours in advance you will be charged for your appointment.